Thursday, November 5, 2009

To homeschool or not to homeschool?

That is the question I have been pondering a lot lately. There are many reasons why I should homeschool Lucia:
1) So as not to put her in a new school mid-year (we are moving out of the area in about a month)
2) The charter school allows the parent to chose the curriculum.
3) The charter school gives you $1500 per year for supplies and books and for extra activities like dance or music lessons.
4) The charter school offers mini classes like art and science where they get to meet with other kids.
5) Lucia would get one on one concentrated instruction.
6) We'd have a more flexible schedule.
7) We'd have more time to do things like visit museums and go to play groups.

The reasons I shouldn't do homeschool:
1) Lucia and I butt heads a lot of the time-she doesn't listen to me very well.
2) Marco and Sylvie might get in the way and/or neglected.

So do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?

8 comments:

The Hills... said...

I say try it for the rest of the year. If it doesn't work out, you can put her in regular schooling next year. Plus, I think you'll be good at it with your teaching background and it looks like the benefits outwiegh the disavantages.

Shirley said...

I'm gonna have to ask you about this charter school option. Sounds awesome!
I've been struggling over the same question. Luckily I have another 2 years before I have to make a decision!
Good luck!

Trieste said...

I think you could always try it out like the other poster said...see how it goes for this year. I have some friends that homeschool and love it, and I have 1 that did it and hated it. Either way, I think if you gave it a try you could see how you feel about it. As a teacher, I think that the school system works well for some children, but not all unfortunately. I've thought about the type of education my girls will receive and have contemplated other options as well. Good luck...more than anything, pray about it (I sound like my Mother)!

Tamara said...

I have no doubt that you would be a fantastic teacher and the one on one time would really benefit both of you. I would really worry that the younger kids would be have a difficult time loosing some of your attention during the day. I also think that Lucia would love meeting new friends at school. My vote would be to put her in school, but I'm sure both options are good options. (as we've already talked about)

Nicole Hernandez said...

Fortunately I have a solution to the problem of the other kids getting neglected-I'll do it while Sylvie is asleep and Marco can do it with us. Lucia will still be able to meet plenty of friend through the mini classes and I can sign her up for dance or gymnastics-plus we'll be in a new ward!

Nick and Cristina Anderson said...

I was thinking of doing the same thing for Noah when it's time for him to go to Kindergarten. I must say though, some kids are cut out for it, and some aren't. I'm a yell-er and Noah and is a little stubborn. The two mixed make for a not so good learning environment. :) Plus I see how much he loves preschool and he LOVES his friends. I think if I were you, I'd at least try it for the rest of the year, then put her into her new school the following year. She may blossom and do great at home with you, or she may not. I think it's at least worth a try.

Unknown said...

My teacher friend home schooled her oldest in kindergarten with a 2 year old @ home. The curriculum isn't that difficult in kindergarten & doesn't require that much time. She sent her son to a regular school in 1st grade because she had twins that year. Now she's back to homeschooling the older 2. I say try it for the rest of the year, so Lucia won't have to deal with being the new kid @ school. Then put her in 1st grade as a fresh start. Most of all, listen to your "mommy gut". That'll tell you the right answer.

Anonymous said...

I think Lucia will be fine switching schools mid-year. Kids are very resilient. Hey, if my autistic kid can take the switch from glorified kindergarten in first grade to 70% inclusion in second grade at an entireley different school, anyone can adapt.