Monday, August 2, 2010

Good things come to thos who are thankful

For those who read (don't know who, but might be someone out there) and aren't aware, Julio has been working at a very small bankruptcy firm for the past 10 months. It's just him, his boss, and a part time attorney. His boss has been in business for 30 years and wants to retire soon. Julio's job right now is very cush-he works 9-5 and never on weekends. If he needs to take off for an emergency, he can. However, the first time I went down to meet his boss, he said to me, "Today is pay day. All of my employees got paid, but there wasn't enough to pay myself." So, that's the downside of this job-the pay. It really bugged me for a long time that he wasn't getting paid fair attorney wages. He asked for a raise twice and his boss said he couldn't afford it. So, we just kind of accepted it and since so many people we know are out of work, we decided to just be thankful and thank Heavenly Father every night for Julio's job. Last week, right before we went to Utah, a former co-worker called Julio and told him there was an opening at his firm and to send over his resume. Julio did and they called him and scheduled an interview for last Wed. Julio went and met with one of the partners and he felt really good about the interview, but wasn't sure of it. They called him that afternoon to offer him the job! The good thing about it, is they will give him a 50% raise! Plus 401k (he doesn't have that now) and benefits. He will have to work a little bit more-good pay requires hard work and he will be doing more civil litigation. When Julio broke the news to his current boss, he said, "What will it take to keep you here?" He said he wants to hand the firm over to him when he retires and offered him a huge raise-not quite as much as the other place. Questions are-can he afford this raise? Is the firm really profitable for us to want to take over? Does he want to practice only bankruptcy for the rest of his career? Plus, his boss is so nice and lax, does he want to leave him? Julio had been pondering those questions all week. He was really undecided. To me, it was a no-brainer-take the new job! I told him to pray about it. Well, last night, after much thought, prayer and advice from his fellow attorney friends, he decided to....take the job!!!! Here he comes real attorney job! We're so thankful for this new opportunity. It will be different, but it will totally be worth it!

4 comments:

Nick and Cristina Anderson said...

That is amazing wonderful news!! Congrats to your little family! Right now I'm just thankful to have a husband again! This gives me hope. I thought about you a lot these last couple weeks. I figured if you did it, then I could too. I seriously almost died, the kids got the flu and Nick stayed at his parents for almost a week! But the bar is over.. Hooray!

jessjab said...

Felicidades to Julio on the new job! Loved being able to read your blog again...I'd already read Tami's version of your weekend together, so I knew what was coming. Maybe we'll be home next time you're up this way! Have a good trip to LA. XO, AA

Callie said...

Just catching up on your blog...looks like you had fun in Utah (I'm so jealous by the way! :). Congrats to Big J on the new job! That will be SO great!

Shirley said...

Yay!!