Monday, August 27, 2007

Nikki's Book Club

This month, the book club I'm in read some parenting books. I'm not really a "parenting book person". I'd rather just talk to people about ideas and experience life with my children through trial and error. Usually it's more error than not, but I am trying to be a better mom. I read part of a book called "The Potentially Sane Mother's Guide to Raising Young Children". The author is a LDS BYU law school grad with 5 children under age 8. She had some good philosophies and I tried to apply them in my life. One of her things is to try to put a postivie spin on negative situations. Well, last week we had one of those potentially dreadful experiences. Lucia decided she wanted a treat at the store. When I told her no, she started having a temper tantrum. I kept my cool in the store and left as quickly as possible. In the parking lot, she was screaming her head off and a guy walked by and laughed. I thought to myself, this could be funny. So I got her in the car kicking and screaming and she continued to kick my seat and scream at me. I thought to myself, "What could I do to get her to settle down?" So, I put in a primary CD and "I Am a Child of God" came on. Within seconds, she settled down and started singing. Instead of me blowing up and her reacting to me, we were all happy and went to the park to play.
Other books we discussed in book club:
  1. Christlike Parenting
  2. 10 Secrets All Parents Know
  3. A Mind At a Time

3 comments:

amanda jane said...

I love it when those tricks WORK! The peace and statisfaction that comes is so rewarding. I only wish my kids didn't get that I am trying to distract them - to old for lots of those tricks now. SIGH.

The Hills... said...

A sure advantage of being the youngest is I get to watch and take advice from my older sisters!

Nicole Hernandez said...

I guess being the oldest is hard because I have to be the guinnea pig. Oh well, you live and learn.
Amanda-
What do you do that works as far as making a happier, more peaceful home environment?