This last week was uneventful mostly. We are in negotiations with the bank on a house-still don't know if we got it or not. I guess we'll find out this week. If it's meant to be it'll be...
This weekend we mostly relaxed-had the missionaries for dinner, Julio had a worthless job interview, went to Mom and Dad's for dinner.
I'm having an issue with Lucia's teacher. They have this thing where they can earn "wildcat paws" when they go the extra mile doing something good in class. Well, Lucia did miss a week of school, but she only has 1 wildcat paw. Other kids in her class have 8, 9, 10, up to 15. Why isn't she getting any? I ask her what she needs to do, and she knows. I ask her if she does it and she says, "I think about it, I do things sometimes, but my teacher doesn't see me." She also complains about other kids getting two stamps on their paper and she only gets one. Maybe I'm an overly concerned parent, but I don't think so. Lucia is a good girl, she's smart and I don't think she's getting enough recognition or encouragement. I did send the email to her teacher and expressed my concerns, and I talked to her on the phone about it. Nothing seems to have changed. I guess I should go get fingerprinted so I can go observe her class. I'm not going to bring it up with Lucia anymore. I don't want her to feel bad about herself. I keep saying, "Lets just homeschool you!" and she emphatically replies, "NO!!!!!" Ok then, school can't be all that bad, right?
7 comments:
I would definitely go and observe. I know that being a teacher sometimes you miss some kids because they are the ones that are good all the time so you have to take extra effort to keep track of which kids you are giving incentives to and make sure all are getting their fair share. I think you're on the right track...don't give up talking to the teacher and voicing your concerns.
That's too bad about Lucia's school. It should be a fun time in her life. Good luck with the house. We are anxious to see how it goes. I should get off of the computer and sleep while the baby is asleep. I'll check in later!
I think as teachers we know when things just aren't quite right in the classroom. I'm dreading the day when Gavin's old enough, & I have to deal w/ his teacher. I think my problems are going to start in preschool since I have my bachelor's & master's in Early Childhood Ed. Thanks for reaffirming why I don't do "rewards" in my classroom. Kids should have the intrinsic motivation to behave & try their best. I'm sure she does. She's probably too smart & independent that she doesn't feel the need to draw attention to herself. Hang in there!! Good luck on the home & tell Julio hi for me.
I hope, hope, hope you get that house! Don't worry about Lucia, I'm sure that teacher will see how wonderful she is as the year goes on, or maybe she'll change schools! Love ya, Mom
You have to get fingerprinted to observe your own kids class? Wierd. I hope Lucia doesn't get frustrated, she is a good girl, hopefully she gets recognized soon!
Yes, by law anyone working with or around the kids have to be fingerprinted-even to go on fieldtrips with them. I didn't do much "incentives" in my classroom either-I believe kids should have the intrinsic desire to be good and not just because they're being rewarded-Lucia is the same way.
You are a wonderful mommy.
Post a Comment