Sunday, February 22, 2009
Mad Mommy Moment
So, we had Stake Conference today (for those who don't know what that is, it's a large church meeting for all the members in the area). We had a broadcast from Salt Lake with speakers from the leadership of the church. Elder Ballard gave a really good talk-at least from the maybe 30% of what I heard of it. The majority of the time, I was in the bathroom changing Sylvie and nursing her, then sitting with Marco and Lucia while Julio took the baby to the back to walk her around. Marco was playing with a party blower that he kept trying to hit the people sitting behind us with. He took off his shoes AND socks. He dumped out all the crayons and started throwing them around, he crumbled up his granola bar all over the floor. Lucia was drawing and being mellow-but, she was singing in a not-so-quiet voice and when I tried to ask her to be quiet, she ignored me until I took away her pen. She then threw herself on top of me and started whining loudly, "I want to draw!" So, I was at the end of my patience-we packed up and left before the last speaker. What do you think? Is it worth dragging your kids out in the rain to sit through a two hour meeting in the dark on a crowded pew?????
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
My husband and I had a discussion about this after the last stake conference we attended. We thought we couldn't really pay attention to anything that was being said because we were constantly chasing kids...we were in the seats in the cultural hall/no pews so kind of hard to contain them. Anyway, we left early and felt the same way...it just is so hard with little kids!!!
We switch off weeks at church being on Corom duty. Yesterday was my day. I spent the whole 3 hours walking the halls with a fussy baby who wouldn't nap. It is so frustrating to feel like 1.You are being watched by everyone else and 2.that you don't get to enjoy church. I do think it is important to keep going. I think it is the effort that counts. You won't have babies forever. Stake conferences are long for kids. 2 hours is alot. We had ours in the conference center and the prophet spoke. I was walking the halls that day too and was so mad!
Our hometeacher says that his family hasn't gone to a stake conference in 4 years because their little boy is autistic and it's just too hard! (Plus, they have an older girl and a baby.) They don't even try anymore. It's a shame that they miss it, but I understand and can't judge their decision.
My mother-in-law has told me that at my stage in life, going to church is simply to show obdience. Boy isn't that the truth! I cannot remember the last time I actually heard an entire talk.
Hang in there!
You're brave. We didn't even attempt Stake Conf. this time. I think you did the right thing by taking them. Even though it seems pointless, crazy and chaotic. I think we'll try to go next time. Landen somehow knew we missed church and I felt horrible.
Post a Comment