
Ever since Aunt Alice and Uncle Lynn have been in China, I've had a greater interest in Chinese things. I just finished a book that we read in our Book Club called "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" by Lisa See. It was fascinating, compelling and very thought provoking. It takes place in China during the 1800's. It's about the culture of women during that time. They had a secret code called nushu that they used to communicate with eachother through embroidery and caligraphy. The narrator talks about her life and being connected with another girl called her Laotong or old same. They become soul sisters and their destinies are connected. It is fiction, but gives so much insight into the oppression and suffering those women went through from the foot binding as little girls to their arranged marriages made solely to breed sons. It was very sad and made me realize how thankful I am for my life and all the luxuries and freedoms I enjoy including a loving husband. Julio and I then rented a movie called "The Painted Veil" and stars Naomi Watts and Edward Norton. It takes place during the 1920's in China. He is a doctor who goes to study bacteria during a cholera epidemic. It shows how their relationship grows in a time and place that was lacking in so many ways. But, the scenery was beautiful and the life so simple. There is so much out there in the world to see and experience and so many people who's lives are so different from our own.
5 comments:
And this is from a wife that wanted nothing to do with Asia!
Brian and I saw "The Painted Veil" on a plane ride and we loved it! I think it has a great message. You guys should come visit us when we go to Asia next spring!
Your comment on my blog had me laughing SO hard!!! I quickly remembered that YOU lived the L.A. lifestyle for quite a few years!!! Too bad Pinkberry wasn't around back then... or was it?
You might enjoy my recent interview with Lisa See:
http://marksarvas.blogs.com/elegvar/2007/10/guest-intervi-1.html
By the way, when I'm not writing fiction and doing author interviews, I'm a lawyer with the California Department of Justice in Los Angeles (my wife is a lawyer with WAMU).
A classic that is really good is Imperial Woman by Pearl S. Buck. It is about a young woman who becomes concubine to the emperor but it is at the last days of imperial rule.
Also, I just watched Raise the Red Lantern - a really good movie, also about a concubine but during the 1920's or 30's. She is a college student who's father dies so is no longer able to support her education so has no choice but to accept this position in a great house.
I'll look into the Fan book. Looks good.
Serena
Post a Comment